Monday, December 28, 2020

The Galilee Episode: Two Men in One Bed, Two Women Grinding (Blossom Valley Trumpet, 2019)

How confident are you that the Bible says what it says and means what it means? In my early years of personal and academic study (now more than thirty years ago), my theologically conservative denomination and its college nurtured me to be confident in espousing that position. Decades of continuing academic development (and personal spiritual growth) have helped me read the Bible in a more nuanced fashion. These complementary activities (intellectual expansion and spiritual deepening) have only strengthened the role of ancient wisdom (as contained in Hebrew and Christian Scriptures) in my life. I have come to embrace the mutual roles of heart and mind for a fully credible Christian faith.

If you share my love for provocative Scriptural analysis (with the potential to reshape your long-held thinking), you will find Ronald W. Goetz's work a treat. If, however, you prefer biblical interpretation that reinforces what you have always known to be true, you will find this book threatening. (But then again, perhaps what you really need is a little shaking up?)


Goetz focuses on Luke 17, in particular verses 34-35 (which he renders in KJV): "I tell you, in that night, there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left. Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left." Fundamentalist/conservative/evangelical (yes, I know those descriptors are not subsumable into one, but that's a blog for another time) Christians have largely interpreted this passage as referencing events surrounding the Second Coming of Christ (think "rapture"). 

Goetz, however, spins a completely different understanding, which will challenge Christian thinkers of all ideological persuasions. What if this Lukan passage has to do not with divine rapturing selectivity, but with events surrounding rising pharisaical star Rabbi Yohanan ben Zakkai and his complicit engagement with imperial Rome to persecute same-gender, cross-cultural couples?

At this point, you may be thinking, "Um, no. I don't think so." I will admit that as I initially read Goetz's thesis, I was dubious. Not one inclined to accept the perceived ravings of conspiracy theorists, I had to ask myself, "If this thesis is even remotely accurate, why have I never heard about this before?" I have a solid academic background (MDiv from a recognized evangelical seminary, DMin work from a mainline school of theology, a second DMin nearing completion at a recognized institution of excellence) and more than a nodding awareness of scholarship ... so why am I only now hearing about this? (Turns out, after exploring Goetz's citations, there is considerable "buzz" in the academic world that I was simply not aware of).

In a carefully reasoned (albeit dense with detail and numerous footnotes) argument, Goetz helps his reader consider the reasons why it's time for a new reading of this passage. To be clear, this book is not intended for the nightstand or coffee table. Its audience is not the casual reader; with references to Q Source material, the historical role of Galilee, an extensive excursus concerning Yohanan ben Zakkai, and numerous textual criticism explanations, this is a challenging and mind-expanding read.

As much as The Galilee Episode has academic qualities, it is equally the author's narrative of his own emerging understanding, as he has moved from a position of theological fundamentalism to a broader embrace of faith. The eagle-eyed reader will see detect several editorial problems (an adept copy editor could easily polish these rough edges), and the academic will find occasional issues with the author's tone and hermeneutical flourishes. Goetz's conclusion, however, is worth serious consideration: "that one of the earliest and oldest layers of gospel material testifies to multiple police vice raids, the persecution of gay and lesbian 'am ha-aretz by Jewish authorities, yet the raids, their anti-homosexual motivation, and the identity of those who conducted them have been expunged or obscured by Judaism and Christendom for 2,000 years" (240).

Whether you regard this conclusion as unlikely or probable, your mind and heart need to hear what Goetz has to say. He may just shift your thinking.

#TheGalileeEpisode

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the author and/or publisher through the Speakeasy blogging book review network. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment